GitHub has just announced a new feature of Gist, which enables you reporting any suspicious spams on Gist. I have to get it a thumbs-up and a doubt.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh5vYn1wD2EL_bWVoBRSj5hl-ca0cwh4HemRwNGdpfNAtqSsWi2gper2wW2uyC04e1ys5-6j4nVc2SGSyHV2QgYmbZ3Vc-um8b5pxBOT0y4s4lC5z_4k97QJU5daFfrrXkIW1RTbanEeHI/s800/Gist%2520Report%2520as%2520Abuse%25202013-02-27--17%253A03%253A35.png

Thumbs-up, because this new feature means they have noticed some bad activities and now have taken action on them. Just three months ago, I saw spamming on GitHub and thought that’s the most possible way to spam using GitHub. Until now, I finally realized spammers would abuse a system at maximal possibility. Whatever the system is, as long as they can create spamming contents, they would do it.

Doubt, because I am not sure this new feature can be utilized well. The nature of using Gist isn’t actually like social networking, you wouldn’t share a Gist spam, right? Or when you happen to be introduced to a Gist, it’s most likely through someone or some website you have known. To view a random Gist or a Gist spam, the best way I known is via Gist Discover, but has any of you ever browse Gist Discover page?

So, I think they still have to rely on their spam detection system to trash those worthless spams. However, I still must give credit to GitHub team for fighting against spammers by implementing this new feature. If I see any spams in the future, I will definitely put this reporting feature in a great use.