Eventually.

Before I open a package of dried pasta, I only read how long do I need to cook it to al dente, which properly is only Italian word that I can read. Or I seek for a clock icon near a number with or without “min” text. That’s how I roll on cooking pasta.

I don’t know any French, my only second language is English. So, when I looked at this packaging, didn’t even know it’s produced by a French company. I got the “7 min,” all the information I needed, or what I thought until that OMG moment. I did read the weight of the package, 250g because I noticed the package was smaller, it’s half of normal package I used. Usually, I use 100g of dried pasta per meal. So, 125g for 2 meals that is fine with me, it’s just little more than I used to eat.

So, I cooked half of it for 7 minutes, tasted it. That’s when I should have alerted myself, because I knew the taste was different, there was some mild hint of something in the pasta, but it’s not an awful taste, not at that moment. I dried it and mixed with my pasta sauce, sat down and eat it.

After the first bite, it got weirder, but I thought it might be my sauce, although I really didn’t think so. I hadn’t eaten with the sauce, it’s cooked yesterday and put into fridge right away. What I really thought was it must be some different pasta, maybe there was some additional ingredients like those veggie flavor, you know the typical tricolor pasta.

I was really battling with myself while eating it, but I was a good boy, I finished it and let go of it from my mind afterward, until hours later for the second half of that package.

Once again, when I tested the bite, it tasted like something was missing. Weird, right? With sauce, it tasted with something extra. Without sauce and just cooked, it tasted as if it’s lack of a certain flavor that I used to have. As it drying in colander, I smelled it for the first time. It was certainly not the pasta smell I used to get. I knew something was definitely not right.

But, I continued since it’s already cooked and it didn’t smell like something had gone bad. I sat down and took the first bite, this time, as I eating and having sort of full knowledge that something wasn’t right, I tasted something unpleasant to me.

I finally moved my ass to check the “best before” date, to see if it has expired, even though I really doubted it. I retrieved the packaging and it read “4/5/2015.” So it has not expired. At that moment, I was really puzzled, how could it taste so strange? I continued to read the translation sticker, it said “100% Durum wheat” and that’s all listed in its ingredients.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/9363104035_7c5ce99b8a.jpg

If it has not gone bad and it’s just wheat, where the heck that taste came from? I can’t read the original text, so I just looked around the packaging, trying to find some clues, then I saw there was a picture of eggs with my bulging and unbelieving eyes. Took a second intense stare, yes, those were eggs!

Oh, shell!

And I knew I had missed that when I opened the package, didn’t pay attention to it, but 100% sure my eyes went over it. If I had looked for one more second, I might notice.

Next second, I brought the packaging to my computer and started typing in those alphabets—which I didn’t even know how to pronounce—into Google Translate. The first sentence was the one with the egg picture:

7 œufs frais au kilo de semoule de blé dur
7 fresh eggs per kilo of semolina

Oh, shell!

Continue to translate this part:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/9363103945_8cb1ef1102_z.jpg
pâtes alimentaìres aux oeufs frais.
Pasta with fresh eggs.

Okay, that’s what I already know.

Semoule de blé dur de qualité supérieure, œufs frais 30% soit 320g par kg de semoule.
Durum wheat of superior quality, fresh eggs 30% or 320g per kg of flour.

Okay, quality stuff. Nice to know.

Traces éventuelles de soja et lait.
May contain traces of soy and milk.

I laugh at this one, why am I not surprised? It’s something I read quite a lot, only this one is in French. You will be surprised that how many food products actually have this warning text printed on the packaging.

Normally, I always read packaging to make sure there is no surprise, no accidental consumptions of stuff that I don’t plan to eat. But for pasta since the products I have usually are produced by the country using languages I can’t speak, so I don’t bother to read, because I simply can’t.

I know restaurants do use dried egg pasta, but I never thought it’s possible for industrial food packaging, so I believed it’s safe for me. But now, I knew I was wrong. They do make dried egg pasta and ship oversea, and they can be stored for up to three years. Can you believe it?

As a vegan, of course, I don’t eat eggs. But when I became a lacto-vegetarian-then-vegan, I made a deal with myself that I would have no problems eating like others when necessary. Like when you go to a restaurant, which does not even have veggie dishes, I would order steaks and don’t blink once. Like when you are invited to a home dinner, I will enjoy the casserole dish and praise how good it is without a lie.

In late December, 2012, I accidentally made a cup of instant cappuccino because I didn’t double check what I grabbed. But I immediately knew there was milk in it when I took the first sip. I didn’t drink but discard into the sink, it’s not as if I was totally against drinking dairy products under such situation, but I just couldn’t get used to the flavor.

I wasn’t thinking much about it, until this second incident of accidental consumption.

After I was sure there were some eggs in the pasta, the first thought was to dump it because the taste was really strong. Never once when I was still eating eggs, I really paid attention to egg’s flavor. But now, I could taste it and it’s so overwhelming.

Few seconds later, I changed my mind. I would rather eating it than wasting it. So, I went to add pickle chili juice, extra chili powder for a kick, garlic powder to be sure, and white pepper powder to mess up the flavor of pasta. My intention is to make it taste terrible, so I wouldn’t be paying attention to the egg flavor

I should have added some ketchup, that might help, because when I took another bite, it’s still unbelievable strong. Those extra condiments did cover for a few bites, but then eggy flavor popped up and dominated the rest of bites. I could still taste egg on my tongue after a couple of hours.

Unfortunately, I didn’t finish it, one quarter was left, I had reached my limit. So, I wasted one eighth of that package, I could live with that.

Yes, I am a vegan, but between wasting food and insisting still being a vegan, I choice to eat it. I have my reason to be a vegan, but that’s not point of this post.

At that moment, I realized that I might not be able to eat like before I became vegetarian, even I am okay with it when situation arises.

Interestingly, one of dishes with eggs I liked was egg and potato salad and I know how to make egg pasta, even I have never made once, I learned the recipe after I became vegetarian. If you love pasta and eggs, make some homemade egg pasta, it’s super easy and it would be worth. Every time, I saw a television chef making a pasta from scratch, I knew it would be good.

It’s mind blowing to see diet can change things in a way you don’t expect. You know you like it, but you also dislike it at the same time. Three years without a single egg, I have totally forgot when it tasted like, and only realized after I checked the package.

Lesson learned, now I know how to write “egg” in French and how would I describe the taste of egg?

It’s an acquired taste.


Post-post, 7/29/2013, another line from different type of pasta, but same brand:

Traces éventuelles d’œufs si le numéro de lot contient la lettre “N”.
May contain traces of eggs if the lot number contains the letter “N”.

The last part read very interesting and I had guessed what it meant before I used the translator. 26 letters, I still hit the jackpot. Oh, you French people are funny.