Thoughts of needing repositioning or scrolling cursor relatively to screen sometime occurred to me naturally, because I didn’t want to press like [count]j. So, I looked up and learned two sets of keys, six of them in total:

Vim scroll to / cursor motions: H M L zt z. zb
Drawn by Yu-Jie Lin

                    [t]
                  . .|.[H]---[L]--------------+
    [Shift] [z]. . .[b]. . [M] [.]            |
       |     |       |      |   |             |
       |     |       |      +---|-------------+
       +-----+-------+----------+             |
             |                                |
             |  Top  Middle Bottom of screen  |
Cursor to    |  [H]    [M]    [L]-------------+
             |
Scroll cursor|
  line to    +-[zt]   [z.]   [zb]

However, I could never remember correctly. Because Top versus Home, Bottom versus Last, and Middle versus . (dot). As you can see, they are quite conflicting: H/M/L and t/./b, so confusing for my brain.

At first, I could only remember H, t, b, and . (dot) correctly, sort of. From time to time, I would have to check with :help, just to see what I was actually trying to use. I would always pair like T/M/B, don’t they make more sense as in language? I even tried to associate H with Head as in head command, but that only make things worse, because T would become tail, but it’s actually Top. So, you see how I could never get them right.

They are useful and I must memorize them. Making a video may help me, and with more presses to train my muscle memory, I am sure at this point, I can use them properly.