I was waiting for 3,000 reputation before New Year’s Day, but the points never came or vote-ups. Finally, 7 days into 2014, on 1/7, my Stack Overflow account reached 3,002 reputation after having the account for 4 years. I haven’t participated on Stack Overflow or any Stack Exchange sites for a while. Last time, it was nine months ago when I got 2013 reputation and stopped shortly.

The 3k points have just granted me new privileges. I can now cast “Close Votes” or “Reopen Votes” if I want to, which I am not interested. Maybe one day, I would spend time to answer questions when there is some worth answering and ain’t buried in low quality questions.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgvB9AI2yerz2qi4Xr6z7_5RRV6gGE56d3mRXfj89-RP9Xchb7XT7RjGWapAgCG8NoFcbmtaHRSQoxY0l4WIuAxN5o5y6qKXihApneRAbNvlogiFzBFjFqOW-7_FdmHtBZ_S1gPSmZVXFk/s640/Stack%2520Overflow%2520Privileges%25202014-01-11--22%253A14%253A43.png

Screenshot of my Stack Overflow’s Priviledge page

I did try to review with new privileges, but only found out it’s harder because these two mean more serious business. I couldn’t really decide if it’s okay to re-open or to close a question. Honestly, I can’t imagine how users who has all moderation rights try to moderate.

The possession of great power necessarily implies great responsibility. — William Lamb (1779–1848)

Or if you prefer pop version:

With great power comes great responsibility. — Uncle Ben

I often expressed how I dislike Stack Overflow has become, because it’s filled with low quality posts, and people just don’t seem to know how to ask properly, the worst is many don’t even take time to write their questions.

The true worst part is people like me who has the privileges to make a difference, but we choose not to exercise. No action is an action, I am part of those low quality post askers, who slowly kill Stack Overflow. I am just doing the same by doing nothing. The problem is I don’t really care as if I am numb.

Last year, I got 2013, 3,002 in 2014, how many reputation would I have in 2015 still without answering any more questions? My last answer was posted in July, 2013, that’s six months ago, and only answer made in 2013.