I just wasted an hour on running unnecessary re-emerge.

Doing system update, but I had heard the latest GNUTLS-SA-2014-2, so I only did @system instead of the whole @world:

$ emerge -pvuDt system

I only needed to make sure net-libs/gnutls is in the list first, and the updating list is small enough, so it could get updated fast. The result was 15 packages, and they all looked like small packages, so I ran the following command and didn’t realize I misused options:

$ sudo emerge -q system

I should have known since it’s say emerging “(1 of 44)” that meant the number of packages is 22, not 15. I should have stopped right there. Even after #24, GCC, which should have no reason to be rebuilt, ten or twenty minutes into re-emerging, I still didn’t realize the mistake.

An hour later, after the incorrect command was issued, I finally realized that I wasted an hour for just three packages from that initial list in the correct command:

$ sudo emerge -quD system

The command was finished in less than 15 minutes, really hate this kind of error.