I think this one can be called sauerkraut or pao cai (泡菜), but for me it’s more like pao cai—one eaten with stinky tofu, although one of the ingredient I don’t think I have seen in pao cai. Some pao cai recipes require vinegar, although waiting for days for fermentation is still in the direction. In western style, I believe, having vinegar usually is for quick pickling.

I think I could safely claim that the ingredients I used were Asian, but my method was western.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/13894082511_cafd48c7a9_z.jpg

1   Tea bag experiment

The tastes of this batch, two jars, are spicy after three days of fermentation. It’s a bit of sour, but not by much, so I moved them to refrigerator for storage.

The purpose of tea bag, I read somewhere that tannin would help crispiness when making cucumber pickles, or make them crunchy. Oak leaves seem like a common source. I have no idea if that would help since I have no knowledge at all, so I was just hoping it would. If it didn’t, at least I would have a sauerkraut with tea flavor.

Basically, I was just blindly doing it. Unfortunately, expectedly, I couldn’t tell if it worked, the textures are the same, and nor could I tasted the tea, I think the heat from chili kind of mask everything if there were other flavors underneath. But maybe, just maybe it has not given enough time to work out.

2   Ingredients

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3787/13894090666_ddc7b6e797_z.jpg
  • Cabbage, big pieces
  • Salt
  • Onion, julienned
  • Carrot, julienned
  • Daikon, julienned
  • Chili, sliced
  • Ginger, fine grated or crushed
  • Tea bag, whole
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3754/13894090466_6f3bd8e6c2_z.jpg

Yes, I had used a tea bag, but it’s not the ingredient I was talking about, rather than an experiment. The ingredient was the onion, in western style, onion is not uncommon in sauerkraut recipes. However, as pao cai, I don’t think I have ever seen it in any. As a matter of fact, there are usually only the cabbage, carrot, and chili from what I could remember and visually see.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/13894086512_a2d60739a2_z.jpg

Anyway, I think it’s totally fine since this isn’t western nor Asian style, but mine. Whatever I like to eat, I put them in. I sliced cabbage to big pieces, not typical German sauerkraut fine slices. This way, it’s more like the size of cabbage in pao cai.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3826/13894082761_c810b20e48_z.jpg

This is only the third time I made sauerkraut, some of the ingredients I used for the first time, onion, daikon, chili, and ginger. Almost three months since last time I made sauerkraut, in which carrot was the one new addition, I was still playing safe, but not this time.