Last time I made potstickers was more than two years ago. A few days ago, I made a batch again, but I couldn’t remember sure how to fry it. More specifically, oil first, not water, right?

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3915/14633548422_079811cce8_z.jpg

I guess I need a note for it in case I need the instructions. For some reason, this reminds me of that age old quick quiz question: adding sulfuric acid to water or the other way around?. I couldn’t never memorize the correct answer.

So here is how I should fry them:

  1. add enough oil in cold pan
  2. place dumplings, hold down and rub to coat the oil on the bottom well
  3. heat up on medium-high for a couple of minutes, or until bottom just become golden brown
  4. add enough water for steaming with enough soy sauce, lid on to cover, steam for a couple of minutes, or until the top is steamed through
  5. lid off to allow the rest of water to evaporate
  6. let it go for about 30 seconds for the bottom to crisp up again
  7. transfer to serving dish and enjoy

I add soy sauce because I don’t want to dip. A surprise is, this way, the soy sauce penetrates and it tastes really nice, the sauce is caramelized on the bottom. Just don’t add too much, you only need a little of soy sauce.

As you may have seen those potstickers are ugly as hell, I made my own wrappers without proper rolling pin to roll them out, the filling wasn’t stuffed enough to make them plump, my crimping was awful, but it’s homemade, so I don’t really mind. It goes into my mouth, not my eyes.