tl;dr:


man ascii(7)
man console_codes(4) # for ANSI escape code

I was looking around and stumbled on this man ascii and I was like dumbfounded, wondering how I could not have known about this.

Why? Because I searched for the Wikipedia pages for ASCII and ANSI escape code. Maybe rarely for ASCII character codes, but quite often for the escape codes whenever I was writing a shell script that would need to move cursor or clear screen, such as blocky.sh.

How I found console_codes, since it doesn’t have “ANSI” nor “escape” in the title? I searched with [manpage ansi escape code] for a manual page and found that on the first hit. I couldn’t believe that I used to go to Wikipedia for those codes, when they are already on my disk all along.

It’s funny to think about there is nearly everything on the Internet, the knowledge is vast if you are willing to read, but you don’t have to go out to the virtual world, there already is plenty for us to digest inside our computers.

It’s like human on Earth, and the universe seems without edges if you consider our knowledge, engineering, and capabilities, but the facts are that we don’t even learn a fraction of the planet we are living on, the truth is that we don’t even know everything about ourselves, our human body.