Few days ago, when I was in bed, can’t remember whether I just lied down or woke up in middle of night. Either way, somehow 君が好きだと叫びたい (Kimi ga Suki da to Sakebitai) (1993) by BAAD (1992-1999), a Japanese rock band, SLAM DUNKing into my mind out of nowhere with a nostalgic smell just like going back 20 years in school gym.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-iJordcS7Qk/hqdefault.jpg

Don’t ask me what the song title or lyrics mean, I don’t speak Japanese, but Wikipedia has the translation for it, I Want to Shout ‘I Like You’, and the video also has translations in it. It’s the first opening theme song for Slam Dunk (1993-1995/1996).

It was two decades ago, where was I? Junior high? Anyway, there was quite some Japanese animes on our television channels, and Slam Dunk was one of them. I can’t say I watched all but quite a lot. You know how Japanese animes go, the comical dramatic scene and the sudden seriously stern talking, both can go with shouting, just emphasizing in different aspects.

I wasn’t good at any sports, in fact, pretty bad, but that didn’t stop me watching this anime and I was not the only one. I don’t know if this anime was popular in other places in the world, but it was quite big here at the time. If my memory is correct, some years later, when I was in dorm, some students still watched it.

Don’t you feel somewhat strange, not just Japanese music or drama, it seems many shows either has English title or one or two lines in English in the lyrics, but virtually nothing else is in English. I wonder way.

Crazy for you~ I take you away~ I wanna cry for you~ [CUE THE CLOSE-UP]
If you read the English lines to someone in face altogether, that someone might call the cops.