There is no Epiphany with WebKit backend package in official Fedora repo. Actually, I don’t think I have run Epiphany ever, just want to try it out. Currently, Epiphany supports Mozilla, WebKit, and XULRunner engines. You probably have heard of that there would be only one engine supported in 2.26.

The official steps of building is at http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/WebKit [is gone].

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj7We8Z7MGBF20My20KY79z5qWy2m5yFXFE4GtLFBVi7erxEfbamOYZr9YoffC_8JABFml97LRYu8qMui8Dl87NxyHHgwRE6BaiiqmBChyphenhyphenYGHq9lOq4DKJITBTe03bkbHyCL3-AuK8I-mg/s640/EpiphanyWebKit.png

After tried, the middle button doesn’t work for me. Ctrl + Click doesn’t work, either. But it does have tabs. It seems to use Flash plugin from Mozilla’s directory, I have Flash 64 Bit at /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so, but I couldn’t be sure for this. I don’t feel that it runs faster than Firefox, I guess -O3 is required?

1   Preparing source

  1. Download Epiphany source, the version I used is 2.24.2.
  2. Installing WebKitGtk by yum install WebKit-gtk-devel. The version I installed is WebKit-1.0.0-0.15.svn37790.fc10.

2   Configuring

./configure --with-engine=webkit --prefix=/usr

Notes:

  • Python support (enable by default) needs PyGTK, you also need gnome-python2-devel.
  • Zeroconf bookmarks support (enable by default) needs Avahi and avahi-gobject-devel.
  • Desktop file plugin and Spellchecker are only for Mozilla engine.
  • I don’t like NetworkManager, so didn’t try to enable it.

Additional note for Python support on x86_64:

I can’t enable it if I didn’t modify configure.ac. There seems to have path issue. Find:

PYTHON_MAKEFILE="$PY_EXEC_PREFIX/lib/python$PYTHON_VERSION/config/Makefile"

Make it be:

PYTHON_MAKEFILE="$PY_EXEC_PREFIX/lib64/python$PYTHON_VERSION/config/Makefile"

Run ./autogen, then configure again.

4   Installing

su -c "make install"

5   Running

Epiphany should be in your GNOME menu or run epiphany.

6   Uninstalling

su -c "make uninstall"