A commenter mentioned in this post a image viewer I hadn’t heard before, Geeqie. It was forked from gqview. It is not in Gentoo packages, but it is easy to compile. The version I used is 1.0beta2.

It is really fast and most important feature is Raw image support. With feh, I have to use UFRaw to convert raw images into jpeg format. But it’s okay for me because I don’t view raw image often, well, I don’t view other images often, either. The only problem with Geeqie is it has too many features ( :-) ) I do not use, especially those editing functions.

Note

In January, 2014, I switched to sxiv from feh.

Here is a screenshot of it:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2680/4131920944_0c7cf0caef.jpg

You can see another good feature in the filelist of the screenshot, it merges images with same main filename and different image file types. It’s a nice feature, I think.

The other thing I noticed when I was configuring it, a word showed up, “Win32.” I don’t know if it is really supporting Windows, I didn’t dig in.

Anyway, I will keep Geeqie on my system just for the raw images. Feh is still easier to use since I am usually in $ prompt or MC, I only need to run feh . or use F2 menu to bring up feh.