I had been using BashPad for more than a year since it’s firstly released. Today, I found one even better, Bashrun via this thread.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4912424219_32570e0d0c_z.jpg

There are a few things really impress me:

  • It has separate configuration file (~/$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/bashrun/rc, usually under ~/.config/bashrun), BashPad’s configuration is tied with the script.
  • It has all features that BashPad has, I think.
  • You can do a lot more with HANDLERS
    • keyword<Ctrl+Alt+g>, search on Google for keyword, or you can gg:keyword.
    • ??foo, show you the man page of foo.
    • You can specify something like '^t gm()$' "$BROWSER 'https://mail.google.com/mail/'", so t gm will bring you to Gmail. It’s great way to add bookmarks of websites, I am using this instead of using Fluxbox menu.
    • These above are highly customizable, you can set up any special command you want.

I changed the default terminal to urxvtc and browser to chromium. I tried to use xdg-open at first, but it caused strange thing, xdg-open kept forking itself. May I didn’t use it right at first, I was still experimenting.

I added new entry in ~/.fluxbox/apps, so Bashrun will be at center of screen and be on top and now window decoration:


[app] (title=bashrun)
[Position] (CENTER) {0 0}
[Deco] {NONE}
[Layer] {2}
[end]

Using a bigger font in ~/.Xdefaults:


#########
# Bashrun

bashrun*font: xft:Envy Code R:style=Bold Oblique:pixelsize=20

Keybindings in ~/.fluxbox/keys:


#Mod1 F2 :Exec RUNDIALOG=1 urxvtc -name bashrun
Mod1 F2 :Exec bashrun
Mod4 R :Exec bashrun

You don’t need to (and can’t, that will cause problem) specify the terminal because Bashrun will bring up the one you specify in configuration.

It works well on my Gentoo, even the developer is from Arch Linux.