Well, in about five years... long time.

I just saw this thread, Adobe drops Flash for Linux, except Chrome, I was like "Come on, Adobe, don't do this to Linux users!" at first. But after I read that page, I am sure that OP missed some things.

Google and Adobe partner for this PPAPI which will be used for future Flash Player version. For current NS Plugin API version of Flash, it will only have security updates for up to five years.

It does not say Adobe drop development for Linux and only make Flash work for Chrome. It's API switch, that has nothing to do with specific browser. Just, it happens Google is doing this new PPAPI.

As long as other browser starts to provide PPAPI, newer Flash will still work, or you will still have old NS Plugin API Flash for up to five years with only security updates. For other operating systems, non-PPAPI version of Flash will still be developed as before.

Of course, it may take time for other browser to provide PPAPI for plugins, but I am sure it wouldn't be long. Flash is a big demand, just think about you can't watch silly cats running, some developers soon will help to make PPAPI happened in other browser.

All of these will only start to take place after the release of 11.2, currently latest version is 11.1.102.62. According to roadmap, 11.2 is scheduled to be released in the first quarter of this year.

However, I didn't like this switch. I have same comment like the first comment of that Adobe blog post:

By Ron - 11:20 AM on February 22, 2012
Doesn’t the NS Plugin API accomplish the same purpose?

If so, wouldn’t it be better to work with Mozilla to fix the flaws in the NS Plugin API?

Or is there a non-technical rationale for creating a different API?

I don't know anything about NS Plugin API or PPAPI, but why not just fix it if there is a problem or lots of issues? Why not Google, Mozilla, Adobe, Microsoft, and Apple (sorry, Adobe, I know) work together if they really need a new API? Or is PPAPI already the case?

Anyway, I don't really care about the detail as long as I have regularly updated Flash, it doesn't matter to me. I am not one of those who requires everything is open source or open.

Proprietary software doesn't make me uncomfortable, but softwares with security holes do.

Okay, right, I forgot: Flash's performance sucks. That's the only thing I bitch about Flash.