Few days ago, I was linking to Wikipedia in my blog post, I wanted to have a Wikipedia icon next to that link, so readers would know where that link leads to without reading the URL. Or an icon for external link, that would look nice and reader would be aware that link would bring them to other website.

I wrote a jQuery plugin called Link Classifier partly for that purpose. Here is a screenshot of the plugin’s demo page:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjx9CTNCKbj1gvqNGVr1HUrF58gDkVU_XuFnc33GGAphIthXenWKddgX2_mbJ7iNZIkjSOyDoalpKd7Fo85dClOgmdyMytWTAZqn2Akckdk-gqLdhBU9sv4Ypckz5udYg0Ofgh2YrGCfCo/s1600/2012-11-12--11:47:26.png

The plugin adds some classes to the link elements and I use CSS to show icons from webfont.

Not really sure if this is practical or just pure fancy. I don’t use it because there is not a webfont has all the icons I need, always missing some websites that I frequently link to.