Note

This post is for GNU/Linux and POSIX systems.

It’s quite often when I work on an old ANSI C/C89 code, if it’s using usleep and -Wall, then there would be a warning:

warning: implicit declaration of function 'usleep'

Since GNU C Library 2.12 (May 2010), you need to have right macros to have it, see usleep(3). I think the better way is to move onto nanosleep if it’s for POSIX systems, and every time I would have to copy from previous modified code. I think I will make a note for it.

1   usleep

usleep(SLEEP);

2   nanosleep

#define _POSIX_C_SOURCE       199309L

#include <time.h>

struct timespec req = {
  .tv_sec = SLEEP / 1000000,
  .tv_nsec = SLEEP * 1000
};

nanosleep(&req, NULL);

Note that if SLEEP is for less than a second, then you can directly set .tv_sec to 0. Also _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 199309L is required.