Note

Because I wrote a super long description for this video, I had to split this part out and put it on my blog, or YouTube would tell me my description is too long, which I totally agreed.


1   Making the video

Normally, this is the last one, but for the video, I bumped it up to first.

  1. My record scripts

    • setup-record.sh

      Setting up terminal window for 1280x720 recording region, and adjust my primarily tmux window, so they won’t overlay one on another, but this one for Raincat doesn’t need a terminal window.

    • record.sh

      It records the video. I will choose the FPS, sometimes I need to change the size.

    • re-encode.sh and merge.sh

      record.sh records raw images if not with audio, so the raw video needs to be re-encoded before uploading to YouTube. If I record multiple parts, I need to merge them into one.

    • grabbing a screenshot for video thumbnail, typically the title screen if any.

  2. Writing the description

    • titling the video
    • collecting information about the project, the version, programming language and major dependencies, author, license, etc
    • checking out links, RTFM again, etc.
    • putting all stuff together and write
  3. Making a thumbnail

    If the screenshot already has the title in it, then just use it; if not, put a text overlay on it.

  4. Uploading the video

    • tagging the video
    • adding to appropriate playlists
    • turning on monetization, set up record date
    • re-reading my description
    • double checking everything
    • pushing the publish button
    • checking YouTube video manager, just to be sure

2   Choosing one to make

There are good and suitable projects, but sometimes I don’t have one in my queue list. It normally would be one I like and it has good and necessary stuff to show on video.

3   Searching for new projects

I mostly search in GitHub:

  1. gh-trend.py: it searches GitHub trending projects within the programming languages that I am interested in.
  2. search results with my user script and user style for GitHub. I search for specific keywords every day, with help from my user script and style, I can quickly go through without clicking on things I won’t be interested or already checked.

I also search with Google Image.