Now?

The current header and footer is shown as follows, and they probably would last forever:

New blog header and footer

New blog header and footer

It may look insignificant at first glance or may be considered too small to notice, but it’s not. Why not? Because we tend to know what to expect at top and bottom of page. You know what’s at first line of page whether the text is in 72pt or 8pt, size doesn’t matter when the information is known about already. When you need to read blog’s name, you scroll to the top and there you’d have it.

Even current header looks very simply, I want to simplify more, because “Outputs directly from me…” doesn’t mean a lot to me, when I now read it and think about it. I could remove it and move the navigation menu up, next to the title. But let’s leave it for next time.

As for the footer, same thing. Only I kept that sort of tag line since it has been on my blogs for more than four years.

Final thoughts

There is no standard defining what has to be in header and footer, and it shouldn’t be one. For me, they have to be simple. I’ve learned lengthy sentence doesn’t equal to being informative. Keep them simple and essential, that’s useful and practical.

You do not need a 100-word blog description below the blog title, nor a 100-word disclaimer in your footer. Although, it’s situational, depends on type of websites, but less truly is more.

You also do not need a fancy header image. Yes, one such image may showcase your artistic designs if your website is about design. However, I have seen a few websites such as photographer’s, the only images they have are the photos they shoot. Sometimes, no, most of time, text is even more powerful than image. Just like black/white photos can have more impact on the viewer’s mind than color photos do. The less of complicated element is a trade of more focus.

Nonetheless, there does have times that more is more. Well, only I can’t think of one at this moment.

Good header and footer are good when they are.