Three years ago, I listed what programs I ran. 10 out of 31 programs have been either removed or replaced with others. Three years and 32 % of changes. I only list removed or replaced programs here, the rest 21 are still in use.

No more these

Five programs I have stopped using after the initial post for different reasons.

CenterIM and Pidgin, I think I quited instant messaging around May, 2010, as well as Twitter and all so-called social network websites. I reverted back to the old-school tool, something called the email for better communications.

Shell.FM, probably removed after I canceled my Last.fm subscription. I still used Last.fm scrobbling, just don’t listen to its radio. The Grooveshark might have something to do with why I canceled the subscription.

Arch Linux, well, I still have it on another computer, but I haven’t booted that computer up for years. So, I don’t actually remove it, but simply don’t use it anymore. However, I still read its forums and post replies.

Xpdf, it all started with how I wanted to reduce packages on my system and a script for downloading and serving a local copy of PDF to feed to Google Doc Viewers was born. Then I finally got a better way to do it with Google Docs Viewer right within browser.

Switched

OpenOffice.org to LibreOffice, the reason couldn’t be simpler, LibreOffice is free, OpenOffice.org was doomed when Oracle started to do things to OpenOffice.org like those to others which Oracle has acquired. Even now it’s called Apache OpenOffice, it’s never going to come back like those days OO.o had once had. And after LibreOffice was born, I could tell there was more improvements were made.

BashPad to Bashrun, which has a lot of features and I just switched to. Its 1.0+ version has even more features, but I never updated to the latest version. The years old one has served me well, that’s running the programs I ask for.

Conky to dzen-status. In the beginning, I started with Bash scripts, then ported to C code for better performance. Although, it doesn’t show many information as the Conky—because lack of space, only has one-liner—but it’s more than enough to have glimpses of current system status and resources usage.

Vimperator to Pentadactyl. This switch decision was made after I read about the split of developers. It’d be two years this year, so far, I like Pentadactyl, it’s stable and working nicely.

FluxBox to dwm, stacking to tiling, moving around to not moving around. It’s hard to believe that I’ve not been using dwm for two years, I felt like it’s been ages since the switch. I used to think tiling not really my thing, but now I didn’t feel there really was a huge difference. A week of use, you will feel the charm of tiling and more the keyboard power, managing windows with ten fingers without leaving keyboard for the mouse. Efficient.

There more years?

After three years, there were some significant changes, such as the window manager. But I don’t think there would be much change three years from now, because I really feel I have the right composition of programs. I know them well and make them better for me.